The Action for Transparency Grant and Mentorship programme has supported some journalists over the years with grants to investigate one or more cases of corruption in the health or education sector. Additionally, during this phase the project would like to explore further on COVID 19 Aid Transparency and its impact on the same.
The purpose of the Action for Transparency grant is to enable journalists to investigate an issue that you would not have been able to pursue without financial support.
Journalists wishing to take part in this should confirm their eligibility and ensure their stories meet the selection criteria as indicated below. All information is treated and stored confidentially and will not be shared to any third party.
- Must be a practising journalist (Freelance or employed) who publishes regularly
- Should be based/cover [in] Nairobi County
- Can demonstrate experience in investigative or feature story telling
- Do not have access to resources/equipment to enable you undertake investigative work. (The purpose of the Action for Transparency grant is to enable you to investigate an issue that you would not have been able to pursue without financial support)
- Story ideas proposed should be on-
- Corruption in health sector/ transparency and accountability in health financing/ management of health facilities/ devolution of health sector/ budget tracking and health expenditure/ Disease burden and funding etc.
- Corruption in education/ transparency and accountability in primary education financing/ free primary education funding/ allocation and disbursement of budgets for schools/ etc.
- Corruption in government (related to or affecting education and health)
- Effects of corruption in the health and education sectors etc
- The journalist should demonstrate that the suggested story ideas cannot be achieved without the grant, i.e. duration needed to investigate the story, resources needed etc.
- Should provide proof that the stories once complete, will be published by a credible outlet, i.e letter from their editor confirming this.
- The story ideas should be viable for completion and publication within 3 months
- Should have demonstrated ability to write/produce stories
- Should be a broadcast, online or print media journalists.
To Register For The Grants and Mentorship Programme, Apply on the Form Below. Deadline for Applications is 4th September 2020.
Action for Transparency Grants and Mentorship Programme is an equal opportunity programme and supports workforce diversity. All applications for grant applications will be welcomed and considered on the relative merits of the applicant against the role profile for the position regardless of colour, race, nationality, ethnic origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, parental responsibilities, age, religion, or belief.