The Right to Education is an Economic and Social Right recognised and protected under both national and international laws. This means that the state has an obligation to provide resources towards its realisation and ensure everyone – especially the marginalised and vulnerable – have access to quality education by making certain it is accessible, acceptable, available and adaptable.
The reality in Kenya, however, is that the right to free, compulsory and quality education has not been fully realised due to issues such as: inadequate resources, mismanagement of available resources, weak monitoring and evaluation frameworks, inadequate public participation in policy and budget making processes and inadequate access to information by citizens to ensure their effective oversight on use of resources.
To address the challenges impeding realisation of the Right to Education, the A4T project promotes adherence to the National Values and Principles of Governance as espoused under Article 10 of the Constitutions and especially: Participation of the People; Good Governance, Integrity, Transparency and Accountability.
How does the A4T project enhance transparency, accountability and participation in the Education sector?
- Enhancing transparency through enabling access to Schools’ budgetary information contained in the A4T digital platforms that have been enhanced to enable easier access through a mobile phone;
- Promoting Participation of the people by creating awareness on Rights and Responsibilities of citizens and the duty bearers including on budgetary and audit processes;
- Enhancing Accountability by providing citizens with a platforms (A4T APP) for anonymously reporting and whistleblowing on suspected corruption in learning institutions, as well as empowering citizens to conduct social audits to determine the extent to which resources are being effectively utilised at the schools;
- Promoting Good Governance by engaging public officials and policy makers on the policy and administrative issues requiring reforms;
- Promoting integrity by creating awareness among members of the community on their rights and responsibilities as responsible citizens to ensure proper use of public resources;
- Training and providing opportunities to journalists to report on accountability issues affecting the education sector